Monday, August 19, 2013

What is IHS?

I sit here and wonder, "OK, so I really feel called to put myself In HIS Service, but wonder how do I go about doing this?" I've never done a blog before. I'm not even sure if this is the right platform to use to do this. I don't want to be attached to a computer several hours a day writing things on a blog that will end up being a waste of time. After all, I could be spending my time taking the kids to visit their grandma or great aunt. So I think, what is the point? What exactly should IHSCatholics become? I don't want it to just become a blog. I think it really needs the human element (with the help of the Divine).

The point is that our God knows and loves us more than we can fathom, and in response, I desire to know, love, and serve Him better. Can IHSCatholics be a means in which I can better know, love, and serve Him? If we love Him, we will follow His commandments- To love the Lord our God with our whole mind, heart, soul, and strength and to love our neighbor as ourselves. It sure helps when a person has the support of the people around him/her. I also am aware that we can bring each other down, get each other into trouble, be afraid to talk about things that are important for fear of offending others. I am guilty- guilty of silence, neglect, laziness, false accusations, etc., etc., etc. I am human, my husband is human, my kids are human. We need each other's support. Can  IHS then a Catholic support group for human Catholic families trying to practice their Faith?

So if IHS then is a support group, what exactly is our focus?
These are some of my ideas:
  1. Know- Faith formation in line with Holy Mother Church (I don't think this can be done on our blog but links, reading lists, events, and speakers can be shared. Maybe we can meet for apologetics classes and Catholic conferences, or find online catechesis classes.)
  2. Love- Spiritual formation ( I don't think this can be done on our blog either but encouragement for each other to go to adoration and sacraments, quotes from the saints, or links to great music sure help.) Rosary nights and different people's houses followed by a fun event might be great.
  3. Serve- (Love in action) The Works of Mercy- Service! Service! Service! These opportunities can be listed on the calendar.
  4. Good ole fashion clean fun! Yeah! (To keep us out of trouble) This can be spread on our calendar! Movie nights, BBQs, etc.
What do you all think? Is it too broad? Could it work? What could our mission statement be?

I am hopeful that IHSCatholics will become a network of friends and family that desire to not only grow in their faith, but to become saints. Particularly after reading and watching saint stories lately, this seems like a tall order. We live in a time when there is so much evil around and it is presented as good. It muddles the phrase, "Death but not sin!" Christ died for us. What are we willing to do for Him?

6 comments:

  1. I think you just described the "mission statement" :)

    A blog is a wonderful tool, but I understand your concerns. It can be quite "impersonal". I think we can use it to help inspire, promote truth, and support one another, but at the end of the day we need to get on the PHONES! (phone # list anyone?) Or just show up where we know we are needed and allow God to use us on a more "personal" level.

    We are all aware of the possible dangers to our families when we "overload" ourselves, even in the service of others. However that is what is so great (or will be) about this blog. It allows us to inform each other of: wonderful events/ opportunities/ people in need/ fellowship desired, etc.. so we may participate! Of course some of us are able do more than others, but just that in itself is "serving him" by inviting others into OUR service and inspiring them:)It's a beautiful thing!

    Friendships on the other hand cannot be forced, and some people are not as "outgoing" as others, BUT we are all called to "know-love-serve" him in our own way and to seek out like- minded fellowship that is healthy and uplifting to us and our family and promotes a Christ -centered life. Whether we find those relationships here or elsewhere we trust in God to orchestrate and bless them:)

    Let us pray that God uses this blog for His Will and purposes and that all those involved will be touched spiritually, and moved physically!

    Summer*

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Thanks Summer! Wanna go to Auntie L's tomorrow? Hee Hee Hee)

    from The Purpose of Man's Existence the Baltimore Cathechism

    *What must we do to gain the happiness of heaven?
    To gain the happiness of heaven we must know, love, and serve God in this world.
    Lay not up to yourselves treasures on earth; where the rust and moth consume and where thieves break through and steal. But lay up to yourselves treasures in heaven; where neither the rust nor moth doth consume, and where thieves do not break through nor steal. (Matthew 6:19-20)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I open up the bulletin from Church this morning and what do I see? A section that says
    REVIEW YOUR FAITH
    From whom do we learn to know, love, and serve God? We learn to know, love, and serve God from Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who teaches us through the Catholic Church. The Church is the flock of Christ. In this flock we follow the Good Shepherd. We listen to Him teaching us what to do.
    Where do we find the chief truths taught by Jesus Christ through the Catholic Church? ...in the Apostles Creed because in it are all of the chief truths that Christ taught His apostles.

    I found this humorous because of the know, love, and serve theme that I had just been thinking of.
    Good Ole Baltimore Catechism!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of getting together for to discuss apologetics and to pray the rosary, etc...

    I believe this blog can become a way for all involved to serve the Lord and to inspire those who long to serve Him better.

    By sharing our personal stories of service, faith, inspiration, and what our Catholic faith means to us I believe we will be serving Him because even if one person is called to live their faith more fully we have truly served.

    Is this blog private or public? How many contributers are there? Maybe everyone is willing to make one post a week the purpose of IHS will start to take off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that idea. At this point, the blog is private. I'm not sure who all has an invite to comment. You can count me in for at least a blog a week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let's do a Rosary Night/Ice Cream social! I can publicize!

    ReplyDelete